Friday, September 24, 2010

Dissing Dysautonomia


Ms. Nomi (what I call my Dysautonomia) has been visiting me a lot lately. The doctors have been tapered me off my beta-blockers because I’m paradoxical and they want to experiment with different meds before I hit the Mayo Clinic. So I’ve taken up some hobbies since I can’t do the usual fighting crime, turning trix and acting as britney spears body double.
I’ve become quite the little crafter and for my fellow P.O.T heads I’ll tell ya, get your craft on man!
My bestie and I hit JoAnn’s the other day for some sales. We looked online for coupons and found our share of deals. Take time before you go out and clip some coupons, we saved about twenty bucks. I found some adorable bird houses that just needed to be sanded and painted they started from 1.00 and went up to about 25.00.
I also got some things to start needle pointing. There’s something charming about dirty sayings in needle work.
It’s been such good therapy for my fingers. My hands aren’t what they used to be. I don’t know why but just typing is hard some days, and forget about piano playing. But I swear the needle work, knitting, and pushing myself to play the guitar and piano has really helped me.
I also make sure I walk at least 10,000 steps per-day. I try to up it each week, but of course on my bad weeks during that gifted ‘special’ time each month I’m lucky to get half that.
My heart rate is more messed up then Farrah Fawcett on letterman. I went running the other day and of course tracked my heart rate closely. It stayed between 65bpm and 120bpm. The faster I ran the slower it got. I know, once again, paradoxical. So I’ve discovered that if I just walk on a steady incline it stays at the highest beats per min. Who would of thought. The good part of having such a messed up heart rate is on my good days I can run forever. It’s exciting and disgustingly fun! I bet I could do the Iron Man…that is as long as I had floaties on during the swimming portion in case lost movement in my right side. And I would need to find a way to bike without actually balancing on a thin piece of metal in case I passed out and fell off. And I probably shouldn’t run because after drowning from swimming and passing out from biking I bet I would look like a heroin addict on the side of the road. (Nomi survivors are probably the only ones who would really understand that reference.)
Anyways, I know it’s hard my friends, but keep on keeping on, you’re never given anything you can’t handle, and if you view your life as just a pathetic joke, it makes it a lot more entertaining.
Ride on man, ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment