Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's all Shits and Giggles till someone Giggles and Shits: Dysautonomia & Ataxia's dirty little secret

Us folk with autonomic dysfunction sometimes have a dirty little secret. I’ve mentioned it before but after my ataxia and dysautonomia buds have been asking more questions about it I’ve decided to talk about it.
As we lose control over our bodies we can have embarrassing moments all the time. Swinging our hands in the air, people think were drugged out on GHB or some other heavy recreational drug. We walk funny, we sound drunk but one of the worse is sometimes we gotta wear a diaper.
Incontinence is a very real very common occurrence. Many men and women endure it for many different reasons. Having children, stress incontinence, overflow incontinence, and this can be just in otherwise healthy individuals.
Normal pressure hydrocephalus, which is caused by an increase in intracranial pressure and not enough of it absorbing in the brain can cause it. One of the late stage systems of Friedrech’s Ataxia is UI.  However from what I have gathered from my doctors, incontinence can be common in patience with Ataxia because the nerves aren’t working properly. This is why for some people they can no longer feel down there as they use the restroom and they kinda have to guess if they are using the correct muscles or not. I’ve never had a baby but I’m told it feels similar to when a woman has to push after an epidural.
Here is a link to some information from ataxia.org.uk A GREAT site for more info on Ataxia:

No comments:

Post a Comment