
I’m starting to realize more and more the most upsetting thing
about my illness is not the pain, or the weird walking, or being limited how
much I can work or even having to get a ride everywhere I go. The most
upsetting thing for me is remembering what my mind once was, and comparing it
to what it is now.
For some reason when writing I seem to be able to get my
point across okay, and what I want to say comes out pretty easy…most of the
time. However in verbal conversations, no matter how short or long, how deep or
simple minded I find myself having so much more difficulty.
Explaining myself to others is sometimes pointless, trying
to remember the names of certain things or spitting out a phrase when I need it
has become like I have a mind stutter.
I either have a hard time getting it from my brain to my
mouth or I have a hard time finding the correct verbiage all together.
Then there’s the intellectual side of things. This past week
I had to do more Work Ability testing to see if my mind and body are ready to
go back to work and school permanently. To think that I was once considered a
genius makes me sick. I look at the patterns and puzzles and remember my old IQ
testing and how simple it was for me to blaze through them with ease. Now I
stumble through everything from the puzzles, to the fractions, to the memory
testing, to the problem solving.
I have hope though, I know that if I continue writing and
reading while I use Kahn Academy, it I’ll slowly rehabilitate to what I was.
They say the slices of Einstein’s brain they preserved showed
neurons and pathways that were as healthy as a twenty year olds even though he
was in his 70’s when he died. They think it was because of his constant “mind experiments.”
I’ll get there. I have to, it’s my Everest. My faith, my intellect,
and my optimism and my quirky personality is what makes me, me. If I don’t find
that girl again, I don’t know if I’ll be able to completely accept who I am.
Which sounds stupid, I know. I might as well be a twelve
year old girl saying I’m not good enough because my eyebrows are plucked
perfectly. But understanding the world only through feeling leaves you
unguarded. Although intellect is by far the lesser of the two you must have
both to truly understand this world and the life ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment