Sunday, July 20, 2014

Be Not Ashamed.....A little tale of why I overshare

Hey Friends!

Some of my family members have been getting questions about what’s been going on with me. And/OR how come I’m so open about my illness.
I’ve made the decision to be so open about what I have been going through because I want to take the stigma and shame away from having a chronic illness.
The stigma and shame is what causes a lot of the depression in our community. When things aren’t talked about people wonder if it’s normal for them to feel those feelings or experience what they are experiencing.
I have gotten over the shame and want to find the funny; because what we go through although some days is heartbreaking and irritating is pretty damn funny.
So instead of there being an army of us sitting at home in pain behind our computers I want us to unite and find the good we can bring to the plate.
We are as a whole an inspirational people, and if we keep what we’re going through a secret we won’t be able to help others who are not only experiencing similar problems, but people who are just struggling with the everyday ups and downs.
That’s why I have weird facebook status’, that’s why sometimes I over share. Because I have seen to many women and men going through what I am going through and they are ashamed about what their body has done to them. There is no need to be ashamed. 
Whether its Cancer or MS or Muscular Dystrophy or Dysautonomia etc. You are not your illness and you should not be ashamed of what you are going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment