Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Best Lessons Come in Crappy Packages


I have a lot to be thankful for today. I’ve been on new medication since my diagnosis of episodic ataxia and it has been nothing but life changing. A literal fog has been lifted and everything is so clear again. I’m more active, I can stand longer, play harder, and be myself again. I had almost forgotten what that was like. This illness has been hard but it is also the biggest blessing I have had in my life. Without it I wouldn’t have been as compassionate, or understanding. I would have been arrogant, and felt little need to reach out to others for help. Before, I was too independent, to selfish, to close minded to understand what the important things in life really are.
This illness may have crippled my body at times but it has freed my soul.

I know what love is, what a true friend is and how to never take that for granted. I will now go to the ends of the earth before losing someone important.

I now understand that time is just a limit we humans place upon ourselves and although we should never take any second for granted, we shouldn’t be frustrated or rush those things that may need to take a little more time.

I have learned that family does not mean blood or family trees. I have cousins and friends, who are more like sisters, mentors who have become like uncles and parents who have become more like soul mates.
Last but not least I have learned what Gods eternal love feels like and how it can change a person. Growing up I thought there were more limits, if I was “sinful” or hanging out with others who “were a bad influence” he would slowly creep out of my life until I couldn’t feel him anymore. It has become the exact opposite. As I have embraced those who don’t live the way most deem appropriate, and ceased with judging others his love has radiated throughout my life. I am never alone on a bad night when my body is twisting and my head throbbing. I am not alone when I’m trying to push through the pain when I am with others and hiding how badly I really hurt. I am not alone when my mind is gone and I can’t remember simple things like the name of my dog or how to open a door. I am not alone when I find myself somewhere and I’m not sure where I’m at or how I got there.

Some may say why do bad things happen to good people. I’ve decided God doesn’t have control of the dice like we think he does. Sure, if he wanted he could change the outcome but then he’d be interfering with the laws of nature and free will. And as a God of science he just can’t do that, unless absolutely necessary. However he will hold our hands give us the tools and send us the people needed to get through those times.


My illness is a blessing, a nascence sure, but a blessing none the less.  If I were to say anything else I’d be kidding myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment